Listed buildings can often pose difficulties for those with limited mobility or other disabilities. However, when The Roundhouse was refurbished and restored, one of the key requirements was that the design scheme should create an environment that is easily accessible to everyone.
This has certainly been achieved. Level thresholds, lift access to all rooms and floors, and a colour and signage scheme that provides easy navigation for the partially and non-sighted have all been incorporated into the renovation of The Roundhouse.
The Roundhouse campus also includes the following features which make it a unique and friendly event space, accessible for all.
- Pedestrian access routes at each corner, minimising travel distances
- A public footpath and cycleway linking Roundhouse Road to Pride Parkway has been built, improving sustainable and accessible travel links
- Raised lawns are wheel chair accessible to ensure everyone can access the landscaped areas
- Disabled parking spaces are located suitably close to their respective entrances
- A compound for guide dogs is available which provides for exercise, feeding, drink and latrine requirements
- Raised kerbs at the bus stops to reduce the step up or down onto buses
- Textured pavements
- Hearing loop systems at key points
- Disabled shower rooms with changing facilities and hoisters
- Signage is generally pictograms, raised and textured where accessible, to give simple and intuitive navigation to non-English speaking visitors
- We can provide BSL/English interpreters for your event. If you know that you are going to have deaf people attending, or even if it is just a possibility, you may like to utilise this service provided by Deaf Access at Derby College at reasonable rates. For more information, please contact Deaf Access direct on tel. 01332 387490.